Topic: Low Bb for EH

Hey guys,

Any ideas for a low Bb for a Fossati English horn?  The Forrests one probably won't fit.  I tried to put my bell on a Loree EH, and my bell was too big.  Any ideas out there?

Ron

Ronnal Ford
DMA Oboe Performance '16
Multiple Woodwind Performance/Theory Cognate
Adjunct Professor, Guilford Tech & Forsyth Tech

Re: Low Bb for EH

I don't have an answer, but could I ask what piece? Mainly I'm curious if the Forrests style one would even work—I've had at least 1 (maybe 2; haven't think a bit to remember) not-that-obscure pieces where even the one with the sleeve wouldn't work, and one more where it was really hard to do the switch. I'm wishing I had one keyed to Bb ever more. I've looked into actually adding the keywork, but, although I could probably convince someone to do it, no one is really happy and just says "get a new one." At first level, technically, it doesn't look that hard, but I guess the Bb rod doesn't come assembled and is difficult to get the right "feel" in.
-kby

It's for Mahler 1.  Symphony concert next week (that and Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms).  I've seen the PVC pipe option, and might try that with my repair tech's help...

Ronnal Ford
DMA Oboe Performance '16
Multiple Woodwind Performance/Theory Cognate
Adjunct Professor, Guilford Tech & Forsyth Tech

It seems odd to me that that's the one everyone seems to know. Maybe because there's a large number of them (I haven't had the honor of playing it and haven't gotten around to looking at the score but I'm guessing it's the underlying repeated motif in the 2nd half of the 3rd movement after the transition to Eb minor—never actually hear it in most recordings as the low brass or whatever else is doing that is most of the sound)? The others I've run into are one or two isolated notes (Pagliacci, Puccini's Manon, and Prokofiev 7 are the ones I remember). Pagliacci for sure was one that doesn't work without a keyed instrument. The Prokofiev 7 is doable, but tight (4 measures in a fairly fast movement to go to Bb; plenty of time to change back). PVC sounds the way to go. That's basically what the Forrests sleeve is; just a bit fancied up.-kby

I was surprised to discover low B-flats in the English horn part to Stravinsky's original 1920 version of Symphonies of Wind Instruments. They are not exposed, and the passage containing them is not chromatic (i.e. there are no B-naturals nearby).

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn