Topic: Removable High A bridge

Hi everyone,

Trent uploaded a video onto youtube about attaching a Yamaha High A bridge to a Fox Renard bassoon.

What I was wondering is where can I find one to purchase online?!

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Removable High A bridge

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXs2hx-hCA&feature=plcp

I have looked at a Yamaha parts list but this item doesn't appear - can anyone tell me the part number? Thanks.

Ian

Hello Tim,

I sell removable A to Whisper Key bridge keys for $75.

Bob Williams

Is there any chance of getting something similar that can be used as a low d-flat/ e-flat trill key?

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Dean,

I'd say the best solution there is something slightly more permanent that would also be easier for a tech to install.

A touch piece that sets on and screws in to the C# rod. So a hole through the rod would be drilled, then a tiny screw or pin mounts a touch piece. No soldering required, and if you want to take it off all you have to do is remove the screw. The basic key itself could be plated separately if you wanted, and you wouldn't damage the plating of your C# rod. Any technician that can work with key stock should be able to make an appropriate touch piece, as it'd be one bent piece of metal with a tap, or two pieces of metal soldered together (one with a tap).

The other advantage, and I can tell you, having this key on my bassoon, is that the torque required to move the C# rod from the thumb is probably greater than any clamp position key would really be able to handle. The high A bridges frequently come out of adjustment and there's very little torque there. You'd need something much more stable. A through-screw on the rod would do the trick.

Last edited by Trent (2013-05-07 20:26:50)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

would the high A bridge change how the flicked A sound?

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

You can see how it would change on your bassoon by putting the whisper lock on, or close the whisper key with your right thumb by lifting on the E connection lever while playing the flicked A to see how it changes the sound.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University

Hi Trent, that wouldn't do it.  With the removable A bridge, the whisper key is disengaged after the flick, which wouldn't be the case with your suggestions.

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Oh, well, if you're only flicking there will be no difference in the sound, and the response will work just like a regular flick. Most likely in a flicking only (not venting) situation you won't even press the key far enough down to make the whisper key close completely anyway.

High A to Whisper Key Bridge Key with Roller: This key closes the whisper key whenever the A vent key is opened.  The function of the key is to avoid double venting notes where only one vent is necessary for the note to respond.  When venting or flicking the A key for the A and Bb on the top of the staff it centers the pitch and sound because you are only venting from the A key, not both the A and Whisper Key.  It is very effective for staccato notes such as the ending of the second movement of the Bartok “Concerto for Orchestra” where the second bassoon has a series of staccato A’s.  It also centers and slightly lowers the pitch on high A and Bb because of the whisper key being closed.  I would recommend that this be a standard key in all bassoons.  Fox will not install this on its student instruments!  I hope they change there mind on this in the near future.  If the key is installed with a roller it can be disengaged by removing the roller.  The other way to install the key is to soldier the key so that it engages the A key directly with no roller.  You cannot disengage the key with this setup.
Bob Williams