Topic: B2 to C#2 trill

I played the Mozart "Haffner" Symphony #35 two weeks ago and came across the B2 to C#2 trill that comes up many times in the first movement.  I played the Nussio "Variations on a theme of Pergolisi" several years ago and could never come up with a trill that worked well for this combination.  I found a very good trill last month but it is only possible if you have a right hand Eb trill with the C# trill dropped down to work with the second finger right hand and it helps if you have a little finger whisper key.  I realize this cuts out about 98% of the bassoons out there but the trill works well if you have the keys and maybe is a good reason to get the keys if you are able.  The dropped down right hand C# trill also works very well with the high G to A trill.

xxx  x00, trill Thumb C# and right hand C# at the same time to get the C#.
        lfwk if on bassoon

Bob Williams

Re: B2 to C#2 trill

I finger B and then trill the third finger LH. (XXX|X00 to XX0|X00). If my reed is too weak the C# will be kind of muffled sounding, but with the right reed it works like a charm!

Hi Bob - I think I use the same trill as for B - C# 3 (finger B and trill LH 3), but for the lower octave I add the low E key. See if that works!

If you have the G# ring key (the extra hole above RH 1), an effective C# can be played as xxx 000F (or xxx 000FE -- my bassoon has the E-F link so I just put my thumb on the E) - that opens that extra hole to get C#.  The tone is a bit nasal but acceptable for a trill.  The B can then be played by adding the combination of RH1 and RH2 on the pad cup just below RH1 (the RH2 hole is not to be covered).  Trill the first two fingers on the right hand.

That C# also works well for fast jumps to/from notes where your left thumb is occupied on the long joint (i.e., Db octave jumps in Sorcerer's Apprentice).