Topic: Tuning rings - little revolution for oboists!

Every oboist knows the problem:
You get into a cold church and your tune is much too high. So you pull out the reed and the pitch gets lower. But along with the lower pitch, the oboe goes out of tune.

The reason that the gap between the staple and the oboe is bigger than the staple itself. The more you pull out the reed, the bigger the gap gets and the bigger will your intonation problems be.

Our tuning ring helps here and makes the staple virtually 2-6mm longer. Like this there is no gap and the oboe will play in perfect tune.

2mm tuning ring correspond to about 1,5Hz

The second use of the tuning rings is especially interesting for 2nd oboist in an orchestra and for them not less than a little revolution.

Using the tuning ring you are now able to play a cor anglais reed with perfect intonation on an oboe. Like this you can play the low register very quietly without any problems of responsiveness.

Furthermore changing from oboe to cor anglais becomes much easier. Just warum up the cor anglais reed on the oboe and switch to the cor anglais with a reed ready for a solo!

http://www.oboe-shop.de/en/tuning-ring-3361.html

Last edited by frogger1403 (2013-04-28 08:28:04)

Post's attachments

tuning-ring-cor-anglais-reed-oboe.jpg 35.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
www.oboe-shop.de

Re: Tuning rings - little revolution for oboists!

I have taken plumbers teflon tape and wrapped it around an EH staple until it fit in the reed cup.
As for tuning rings, I'd worry if it is too tight if brass- see
http://www.justin-young.net/news.php?readmore=43

We tried to make the tuning rings out of Delrin. But we experienced that the plastic is too light and therefor does not come out of the oboe as easy as the brass that usually falls out if you turn the oboe upside down.

www.oboe-shop.de

I confess I am a little skeptical about this - isn't the difficulty with intonation due to the fact that notes further up the bore of the instrument are altered significantly more by pulling the reed out than those further down the bore of the instrument? (For example, middle C vs low C: the percentage of change in the sounding length of the bore is much greater for middle C when you pull out the reed than it is for low C. As I understand it, this is why all other instruments tune to the oboe in a symphony - it is the instrument least amenable to this kind of tuning adjustment.) Doesn't it make sense just to have a few reeds that play at a lower pitch? Having said all that, I'd be delighted to have my skepticism overturned!
David

The intonaton problem is caused by the gap between staple and oboe that results from pulling the reed. The tuning ring does fill this gap and therefore there's no intonation problem, just the desired pitch change.

What wonders me most, is that only oboists see that the main advantage of the rings, is to play the oboe with a cor anglais reed if you need to play the low registers softly....

www.oboe-shop.de