Topic: Audition Questions

I've got a few auditions coming up for local groups. I'm not exactly unfamiliar with how auditions work, but have never really encountered an organization that lists their requirements like this one does.

Stravinsky: 1911 Suite from "The Firebird"
Beethoven: The Consecration of the House Overture, 1st two pages (listed under W, Der Weihe des Hauses, www.imslp.org)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade, 2nd movement solos
Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

So, the 1911 L'oiseau does not contain the Berceuse, which is what I've found most orchestras asking for Firebird want to hear. My best guess is that they're going to want to call rehearsal numbers at me from anywhere in the suite. BLECH!

Then the Dukas- They want call rehearsals from the entire part or do they just want the famous soli?

Not sure if it's good form to e-mail the orchestra manager and ask if they've got it right, or to just bite the bullet and learn the entirety of both parts.

One more thing to take into consideration.  They want a 2-4 min solo and sightreading, and all of this in just 10 minutes.

You can follow me on Instagram @bbrmusic.

Re: Audition Questions

No matter what is listed, be prepared for the entire part; you never know what they may want to hear.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake