Re: Knives...oboe...any recommended brands/types?

i recommend the Edmund Nielsen Woodwinds - Rigotti this is a wedge-type razor knife, double hollow ground, in ebony handle. if you like you can check also a cold steel 12cs. try that knife if you want.

Re: Knives...oboe...any recommended brands/types?

Jonathan Marzluf wrote:

Hey Shawn,

Regarding my experiments with Landwell knives, I heated the blade by passing it slowly through the flame of my butane torch until the metal turned a bright purple color (approx. 2-3 minutes), then dunked it in a mug of tap water.  I've noticed an immediate improvement in the knife's ability to take a consistent, clean edge.  Again, I'm just shooting in the dark here, with no formal metallurgical training whatsoever (so I cannot guarantee results), but I've now done this to the Nielsen knife, two "medium" Landwells and one "hard," all with similar favorable results.

Jonathan

Hey, this works pretty well (at least compared to just tossing the knife). You must have a pretty hefty torch, though; I first used mixed (MAPP) gas which is supposed to be hotter than straight propane (which in turn appears slightly hotter than butane; not what I would have expected a priori at first guess). I ended up using oxygen to get the knife hot enough. Makes it look pretty cruddy even after washing excess carbon off, but it did sharpen up knife. I'll have to see if it was just at this point I was willing to be more aggressive with the diamond stone or if it's actually better long term.-kby