Topic: Modify a Kim Walker case

I am considering buying an old used Kim Walker bassoon case. I have heard about some damage issues with this case and wonder if I can add padding or inserts of some kind so the bassoon is better protected. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Re: Modify a Kim Walker case

Think of it this way:  If you want protection, use a regular case.  If you want convenience, get a gig bag.  It is certain that gig bags offer less protection.  That being said, if you are more careful when you use the gig bag, you should not have any problems.  Can you add more protection to a gig bag?  Probably, but you would end up making it bulkier and heavier, which are the two problems that we all try to avoid by using...  you guessed it.... gig bags.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Re: Modify a Kim Walker case

I didn't read your post correctly the first time. I thought you were looking to buy a case that was damaged, not that you can damage your bassoon by using it.

The Walker bag doesn't have a rigid shell, it's just nylon, padding, and a soft plush liner. For many people this is totally sufficient for the kind of travelling and gigging they do. The padding is pretty good on them.

However, if you are a "rough traveller" with your bassoon like I am, or take public transportation a lot, or frequently carry your bassoon with a lot of other gear (potentially knocking stuff around a bit) I would suggest a case with a rigid liner built in, like the Marcus Bonna or Kolbl cases at least.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds