Topic: What is your standard fingering for C#4 ?

Had an interesting discussion today and I have a bit of a bet with a friend on this.

I know of three fingerings for this C# (half step above middle C)

The "short" fingering:

X X X | O O O
c# D

So, same as the lower octave, but without the whisper key.

The "long" fingering:

X X X | O X X F
c#

And the "full" fingering is thus:

X X X | X X X F
c#         Bb

What is your regular fingering for this note in normal use? Not "I do x when technical, I do x when this, I do x when this" kind of answer. When you're practicing scales, what do you use?

Thanks!

Last edited by Trent (2013-10-17 09:16:54)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: What is your standard fingering for C#4 ?

Until about two months ago I'd always used the long fingering, but lately it's been really sharp. I switched to the full.

I voted for the long fingering (cool voting buttons, Trent!), BUT...

Sometimes I 'shade' it with a half hole on the RH index finger if the note is too sharp (on held notes). So what do you call that fingering? Does anyone else do this?

Hard to believe that a majority has voted for the short fingering!

Last edited by C.B. (2013-10-17 13:54:46)

Christopher Brodersen
Maker of Historical Keyboard Instruments
Reviewer/contributor - Fanfare Magazine
Amateur bassoonist, baroque oboist, baroque bassoonist

I'm running the same question on a Facebook "Bassoonists United" group with more even results than this poll. I'm winning my bet with this one here though. :-)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University

So what was your bet? And, what fingering do you normally use?

Christopher Brodersen
Maker of Historical Keyboard Instruments
Reviewer/contributor - Fanfare Magazine
Amateur bassoonist, baroque oboist, baroque bassoonist

My bet was that an equal number of people used the short and long fingering, while most players would rarely use the full fingering. The other person is convinced that the long C# is the "right" fingering, while the short fingering is "cheating." My view is that both are practical, appropriate, and correct fingerings on the bassoon, with the caveat that some bassoons may not really like the short C# at all. My instrument is quite sharp when using the long C#.

I use the short, always have, and was reinforced by both of my collegiate teachers that used it, and in a masterclass with Chuck Ullery who spoke specifically about the various fingerings of this note.

Next poll: resonance key on Eb3 or not? ;-)  (Do NOT answer that in this thread please)

Last edited by Trent (2013-10-17 19:59:40)

22 hours after posting on Facebook the score there is:
Short 8
Long 6
Full 4

(Including my own vote)

I use primarily the short fingering. Not to muddy the waters, but I also use X X X / O X X F ( no  C# or low D key), often for certain technical passages, slurs or awkward leaps. ( high A, Bb etc.) with my horn and setup it is a better sounding fingering than the long with C#. Yes, I'm a short fingering man, the second and third longer fingerings in the poll are quite sharp on my horn without the low D key. I do agree the note can be very horn specific and some of my students horns I recommend the second long fingering, although, here in Spain, most players use it with the low D. I was told the problem with C# is that the tone hole should be right on the tenon to be in the correct place. I love seeing those old Viennese bassoons with the C# key for the RH thumb, same problem I guess.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.