Topic: The recent hacking

For the past 2 weeks, I have been receiving an abnormal and truly annoying amount of "spam" at my e-mail address -- the same one that I used to register on this forum.  I have been trying to figure out why there has been this sudden surge in junk mail coming to my account.  Now, having found out that this forum was recently hacked, I'm wondering if any other registered IDRS members have been experiencing the same problem I have. 

I would just like to know if this hacking could have been the cause of my recent troubles, because in that case, I will hope that new security at the IDRS forum will prevent my e-mail address from being compromised again.  Thanks.

Last edited by oboeandy (2007-01-14 11:40:55)

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

Re: The recent hacking

The date of the attack was 8 January. The  "hack" did not involve the database, where email addresses and posts are kept. Hacker replaced the index page of the Forum with an ad in Spanish.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Thanks for clearing it up, Yoshi!  I guess the source of my "spam" problem is elsewhere.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

I think spambots are on the musical mailing lists or people on the mailing lists may have compromised email accounts that pull your email address. I get spammed on email addresses I've reserved for the purpose of the mailing lists and nothing else. If you use email lists create an email address just for the lists and filter mailing list emails into into their own folder/s. The spam will then stick out more easily.

If you use a paid yahoo account you can really clean house by creating an unique spam guard address for each individual mailing list, filter the mailing list to a folder, and then filter anything going to that same email address, but lacking your mailing list filter to be wiped out.

Alternatively if you use outlook you can use advance filtering to achieve the same goal so long as you have one dedicated pop mail address for mailing lists (gmail has free pop).

Best Regards,
Stephen Kaupiko
Los Angeles, CA