Topic: Oboist Plays Operating Room.Really interesting story! but I'm confused

I'm confused by this article.  Is the implant for both Parkinson's and focal dystonia or just one of them?

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/loca … f887a.html

Last edited by delmar (2013-12-14 21:55:44)

Re: Oboist Plays Operating Room.Really interesting story! but I'm confused

I believe that he was diagnosed with focal dystonia, but they are trying a Parkinson's treatment on him.

Both Parkinsonism and focal dystonia are motor control disorders originating in the brain, and logically might be helped by similar treatments. My own concern is that the news article describes the patient as having both arms "shaking a lot" prior to and when playing. This is not the typical presentation of focal dystonia, which typically affects one or more fingers in one hand (our own Alex Klein is an excellent example of this). I wonder if the patient has a different type of tremor, not dystonia.
     That said, it seems that the deep brain stimulation has worked for this man, regardless of the exact diagnosis. For those with accurately diagnosed focal dystonia in the hands (or embouchure, another common location), other types  of treatment have shown varying degrees of success -- but rarely a real and permanent cure.

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"

Yes....Bill I was little confused by the article as well.

Last edited by delmar (2013-12-18 11:13:56)