Topic: Bassoon quartet music

I'm looking for recommendations and sources of interesting bassoon quartet music, preferably not arrangements of popular themes, but solid repertoire for competent players.

Re: Bassoon quartet music

The competition repertoire listed here can be a good place to start:
http://www.bassons.com/pages/articles/pdf/pdf_10.pdf

The Caliban Quartet also has a few recordings which include some original compositions. Finally, a search on the Trevco-Varner (and other music sources) sheet music website with the parameters set to 4 bassoons will yield a good number of results.

Good luck!

June Emerson & Spartan Press in Uk are good sources of original pieces as well as arrangements.  www.juneemerson.co.uk
www.spartanpress.co.uk

I hope I'm not telling you what you already know. Sorry if that's the case.

There is good bassoon quartet music out there. However, do recognize that the bassoon quartet is pretty much a 20th century invention. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms -- none of them wrote for bassoon quartet.

There are arrangements. Do you want only original works, or are you willing to look at arrangements of serious music?

The only bassoon quartet written by a "major" composer who is not still alive is the Humorous Scherzo by Prokofiev.

That said, there is repertoire out there, especially written in the last fifty or so years. Composers such as Corigliano, Harbison, Schickele, William Schuman, and Gordon Jacob have written quartets, as have many others.

If you have a contrabassoonist in your ensemble, that opens up even more rep. For example, the three Klein Suites for three bassoons and contrabassoon by Bruns are serious works worthy of consideration.

The bassoon group I'm in, Dark in the Song, has been commissioning works for bassoon ensemble over the last couple years. Here's a list:
http://www.darkinthesong.com/repertoire/

If you're interested in performing any, contact me or the composer directly.

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

Have a look at www.portuspress.com for a quite impressive selection of bassoon quartets from The Dance of the Hours to The Baby Elephant Walk, via Gershwin, Debussy and The Clog Dance!

Thank you very much - your replies have been very useful.

Victor Bruns' quartets are brilliant - they are for 3 bassoon and contra but are significant works for quartet.  My favorite is the #1 but 2 and 3 are also very good.

Leigh Munoz

www.gobassoon.com

If anyone is looking for music that has been arranged for bassoon quartet, you may be interested in The Bassoon Bureau (www.thebassoonbureau.com). It's an online store that I have set up fairly recently selling bassoon quartet arrangements. There's only quite a small selection on there at the moment, but I will add new quartets as I arrange them so the range will build up fairly quickly.