Topic: Oboe Tube/Gouged Cane -- strange smell

Hello everyone,
This has happened a few times in the last couple years but as I am processing oboe tube cane I am noticing some pieces of cane have a strange smell. Smokey/Barbeque -- almost smells as if it was in a "smoker" at one point. Its very strange as it is not every piece in a batch of cane -- only occasional.

The stench smells up my entire reed making area while I'm processing the cane. That I can see, the only negative in these pieces of cane is that they don't tend to have the typical "golden" color we often look for but rather a duller brown color.

Any thoughts on what this is? Any other thoughts? By the way, its been two different batches of cane over the past year with random pieces from two different suppliers -- both cane brands well-known.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Oboe Tube/Gouged Cane -- strange smell

They say the olfactory nerves are the first to go...

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

My only conjecture (and I should emphasize it's just a guess) is that they were "oven" dried at some point and some pieces were more prone to picking it up. Another possibility might be something in the soil that is converted (by some) plants to whatever is the odor. Would have to run a MS/GC (Mass spec/gas chromatograph) on the effluent (odor) from the cane to get a more definitive answer if it hasn't been figured out before.

Oh, and I'd guess olfactory nerves "go"  in the opposite direction—lose sensitivity. This is more like an olfactory hallucination…

Last edited by kby (2014-02-18 13:15:08)

I read somewhere that brown cane is dead cane. Dead before it was cut down, that is. Perhaps it's rot that you smell.