Topic: How many reeds do most bassoonists maintain and rotate?

I am an adult amateur bassoonist and keep about 20 reeds in playing condition and play 2 different reeds per practice session.  How many reeds in playing condition to other bassoonists maintain at a given point in time?

Re: How many reeds do most bassoonists maintain and rotate?

10 for me. When one or two fail me I put them on probation until the weather changes before giving them the boot. I will soak up one reed for a rehearsal/concert typically. If it really isn't working out I'll soak up a different one and put that one on probation.

I used to keep a reed case of 24 reeds, but at any given time only about 10 of them were really functional. I went all the way down to 6 but found I was slightly uncomfortable with that number.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I aim to have 5 reeds ready at any time, but that sometimes drops as low as 1 or as high as 10.

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

Reed making is like bassoon playing.   When you do it every day, you improve.   Miss a day…not so good.
Focus on maintaining your skills, no matter how many reeds you have.

I keep nine in working order. I play each of them a little every day. Before a concert or rehearsal I soak up four. Whichever one is the worse goes into the trash the next day. I usually play on my second or third best reed for rehearsals (I try to play on a different reed every rehearsal) and save the best one for concerts.

Abe Weiss wrote:

Reed making is like bassoon playing.   When you do it every day, you improve.   Miss a day…not so good.
Focus on maintaining your skills, no matter how many reeds you have.

I second this. I've found so long as I make one reed each day I rarely have a bad reed day.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor