Topic: E post on a contra

Hi,

Hoping someone has some advice. I recently got a used Amati contra. It looks great but one of the posts is a little bent. It opens and closes OK, but there is a slight ding on the first finger key (the E). I want to find out a) if it can be replaced - which I know it can and b) what you recommend to replace the post. It's an Amati.

I have no problem replacing the post but maybe there are some ideas from other contra players as to "where to go." The pad is OK and the key is OK too.

I was able to get it 'bent back' enough to open and close OK. Do you think it's good to play if it's working?

Post's attachments

DSCN1288.JPG 1.63 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Cor anlgais and Contrabassoon enthusiast!

Amateur in all regards, but learning! I love unusual and unique instruments!

Re: E post on a contra

looks like it's just a bent key. no need to replace it. easy enough for a good woodwind tech to straighten out.

As tomj says that is an easy enough repair. You won't get rid of the dings on the rod. Getting replacement parts from Amati usually takes a long time if they arrive at all.

True - nothing will get rid of the dings. Luckily it was only this post that was affected. I know a little about the torsion on metal. I was able to get her to open and close without too much stress on the 'E' rod/post. I'm lucky that it didn't damage more! Thanks for the advice!

Can I get aftermarket posts and not wait on Amati? The pad and key are OK, I just need to replace the post (something I used to do on my school's instruments)?

Cor anlgais and Contrabassoon enthusiast!

Amateur in all regards, but learning! I love unusual and unique instruments!

Probably the easiest & quickest, if you really want to renew the post, is find a technician to make you one.
Even commonly needed parts like handrests, bell rings & body lock pins for their bassoons can take months to arrive. (I am in UK - maybe it's different elsewhere)

Last edited by Ian White (2014-02-25 04:56:17)