Topic: Bulgheroni Opera Model Oboe? Where to get?

Hello everyone,
I currently have a Bulgheroni MUSA oboe in Cocobola from a double reed dealer. It is a little out of my price range. However, I am interested in trying the Opera Model in Grenadilla. Problem is, the only place that supposedly is the American Dealer says they won't have any for quite a while (???). The only other place available is Woodwind/Brasswind. They have a trial policy but it is horrible.....i won't go into details.

I have contacted Bulgheroni in Italy -- they say contact the dealer in the US, with whom I am dealing right now. He only carries MUSA models.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a couple Opera Models for trial? I am at a loss here! Very frustrating. They are such great horns.....

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Bulgheroni Opera Model Oboe? Where to get?

Hi, Shawn -

I bought my Opera oboe last summer from WW/BW, and I will agree that their trial policies and customer service and general process are HORRIBLE.  But I did manage to get a very nice oboe, after a lot of hassle. 

Who is importing the MUSAs?  I was interested in trying some and couldn't find any in the US when I was shopping. 

Best,

Jennet

Mark Chudnow Woodwinds announced on their website that they are now offering the MUSA instruments.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

Jennettingle
As oboeandy said, MCW has them. I have tried so many instruments in the past 2 months! By far, the standout has been the Bulgheroni MUSA and Opera instruments. Absolutely spectacular.....in my opinion, better in most respects than every other brand I have tried. And, I have tried many of ALL of the "main" brands of horns.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)