Topic: Orchestra size for Five Sacred Trees

I would like to perform Five Sacred Trees for the New Zealand National Concerto Competition in December, but the organisers are concerned that the work would be too expensive to perform if I were to make it to the finals.  I've been in touch with Warner Chappell, but they haven't been much help so far.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the minimum size of the orchestra is for performing this work?  I've Warner Chappell asked if we could get a score to look at, but I haven't had any response and my time is running out as entries close in 2 weeks!  The organisers are particularly concerned by the fact that the work is scored for 7 percussionists.  Does anyone know if it could be performed by less?  There only seems to be one video on Youtube and it looks to have a small string section.  Again, it would be helpful to know what size section is adequate as the concern is really the number of players.  Could it be successfully performed with a slightly reduced brass section?

Any assistance would be much appreciated as I would very much like to perform this concerto, but at this stage it looks like they're going to say no unless I can provide some assurances around the cost of the performance.

Re: Orchestra size for Five Sacred Trees

Here is an excellent response from Judith LeClair for whom the piece was written.

""""Tell the bassoonist that the 4th movement does require a substantial number of percussionists, and there is plenty of brass throughout the piece. It could be performed without that movement, I suppose. The scoring is not too complicated for the other movements, a terrific violinist is needed for 2nd movement, and the harp movement can stand alone with a small string orchestra."""""""""""

Last edited by delmar (2013-09-28 10:53:30)

Thanks so much for the rapid response. 

It sounds like my best bet might be to see if they would agree to leave out the 4th movement if I reached the finals (which is a shame)!

Publication information forward with permission:

There are literally a few measures in the entire piece that require four  percussion players, but most of it can be played by two and three. 

Williams , John
The Five Sacred Trees
Movements I. Eo Mugna (6:54) II. Tortan (3:53) III. Eo Rossa (4:06) IV. Craeb Uisnig (2:53) V. Dathi (8:01)
Bassoon and Orchestra
Bassoon solo, 3[1.2.3/picc] 3[1.2.Eh] 3[1.2 bcl 3[1.2.3/cbn] - 4 3 3 1 - tmp+4. - hp, pf/cel - str
Duration: 26:00
Ask for a rental price quote from <rental@alfred.com>
http://www.alfred.com

John Williams           
The Five Sacred Trees: Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra
Bassoon with Piano Reduction
$19.99 (US)
Pub. Hal Leonard  - Available from any music dealer.

Gary Rautenberg
Manager Library Content
Alfred Rental Library
rental@alfred.com