Topic: Top loading (upright or standing) bassoon cases

Hi all. I'm curious about bassoon cases which are top loading like the Kim Walker. I am curious if there are or were other cases like this and what people thought of them and perhaps where one can get one. Has an upright case ever been made that has a rigid liner that isn't merely padding? Any with adequate storage space for other otems?

Thanks,
Joshua

Re: Top loading (upright or standing) bassoon cases

Some of the Wolf bassoons come in a custom case called the Lupobag (get it? lupo=wolf) which is a top loading case. There's an accessory pouch in the lid flap, a pocket for a bocal case, side pockets, and a velco attached sheet music pouch. No rigid sides though, solidly made exterior, but no plastic liner like a Marcus Bonna case has.
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server5600/ … 0.1280.JPG

The Kolbl company makes a top loading case similar to the Walker as well. Again with side pockets and a lid attached pouch. These come with a hard shell bocal wallet, but the case itself is just a padded exterior again.

There's one other out there that's super light weight that sells for about $135 on ebay. I've seen them and they're slightly better than a pillow case, but if you're careful they're probably just fine.

And there's this one: http://www.tomandwill.com/results.asp?c … &opt=2
Also soft sided I assume. Cheap though. Not sure who in the US sells them.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

There are many copies of the Kim Walker made in various countries but of the ones I've seen the KW is the only one which has any rigid lining (if you have only seen ones with just foam that is an old model). The Tom & Will bags that I've seen are large & they don't seem to last but they are bringing out a redesigned version - who knows if that will be more robust.

What about the BG Tubular bassoon case? I remember seeing it in the Fox store three years ago. It looks like Weiner music still has some. Anyone familiar with it?

http://shop.weinermusic.com/BG-BASSOON- … nfo/CBGND/

I have a colleague who had 2 Roubal bags (1 gentlemens cut & 1 regular cut) that he has been pleased with.  He thought Roubal were made in the Czech Republic.  They came as a soft sided bag (similar to a Koebl) reflected with a lower price point.  He noticed the open space between the exterior wall padding inside the bag and the cordura fabric "shell".  He made cardboard templates of the 4 sides of the bags reflecting their shape and size.  He reduced the size by 0.375" on all 4 sides to allow for "flexibility" for insertion.  He took the cardboard patterns to a glass shop and had plexiglass sheets cut to fit the patterns; they were carefully rounded the edges were sanded so that they weren't sharp to reduce wear on the cordura.  He inserted the plexiglass sheets into the open space between the cordura shell and exterior padding(inside the bag).  He has tried both 0.25" and 0.125" thick plexiglass and found the 1/8" thick to be sufficient and much lighter and economical.  He is now thinking about the possibility of trying carbon fiber sheets and how that might lighten the load yet provide protection for use in these type of bags, however carbon fiber can be pricey.  He believes Roubal bags to be similar Koebl and other more "economic" soft sided options.

He finds the cases at www.crookandstaple.com with carbon fiber and the "historic" looking "drop in" case and the bags from www.musical-bags.com in Valencia Spain with their fiberglass "SuperBag" line to be other interesting options.

Richard Ramey
bassoonhipster@gmail.com
bassoonbonanza.com
javalinapress.com