Topic: 1st time attending - teen workshop questions...

Hello,
I've been looking into the conference in NYC and considering the teen workshop for my daughter who plays the oboe. It says for ages 13-19 (she's on the young side of that at 14). Has anyone attended the conference while their child attended the teen workshop? Can you share your experience? She's not old enough to stay in the dorm alone (must be 15). Would I stay there with here or need to get a hotel near by?

Curious what type of experience others have had with this workshop (& if you were able to attend the conference at the same time).  It looks like this years will be the 3rd year of having this teen workshop.

Any input would be great from anyone who has attended (or had a child attend) or is familiar with the workshop. I believe the conference registration for the week is in the $500 range, plus cost of workshop, possible hotel accommodations and getting there from California, I'd like to carefully consider the options.

Sincerely,
Kristie

Re: 1st time attending - teen workshop questions...

Kristie,

I worked with the teen camp last year at Redlands, and witnessed the students the year before in Ohio.  I HIGHLY suggest this wonderful new program of the IDRS conference.  The teen camp coordinators make sure the participants have a wonderful experience, and the kids usually get a lot of private sessions especially designed for them that are closed to the rest of the conference attendees. 

This is a great program I hope will continue, and is a wonderful way for young oboists and bassoonists to learn about our society and get immersed in the world of double reeds for a week.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

Hi Kristie,

I attended the 2012 IDRS Teen Camp in Ohio, and I only have positive things to say about the experience. We spent full days immersed in the art of double reed playing, attending not only concerts and master classes as a part of the whole conference, but taking part in workshops, lessons, and master classes exclusively for those enrolled in the camp. The teen camp staff are highly qualified and experienced in working with students, and we were supervised throughout the entire camp, including our time spent in the dorms.

It is a great experience to meet new friends with similar interests. In addition to the valuable and beneficial activities spent focusing on your musical studies, there will be leisure activities that are a lot of fun and a good opportunity to make friends. To this day, I keep in touch will many of my 2012 IDRS Teen Camp friends. I highly recommend this opportunity, and I hope they will continue the teen camp experience.

Best of luck,
Emily

Well, those are very strong and encouraging reviews and I am thankful to have them from each of your perspectives. You've helped us to decide that we do want to apply.  Thank you both for taking the time to share your comments. It made a difference!! smile

Sincerely,

Kristie