Topic: Work for 4 bassoons plus strings???????

Does anyone know of a work for 3, 4 or more bassoons plus strings?  I hope so!

Re: Work for 4 bassoons plus strings???????

I posted your question on the IDRS Facebook page and sent out an email about it.  I'll let you know if I get some responses.

from Dean Frick....

I do believe Karl Koper wrote a concerto for four bassoons and orchestra, and was actually performed by the bassoon section of the Chicago Symphony many years ago.

From Trevor Cramer:
Mathieu Lussier wrote a piece called "Bassango."  If you go to my site www.trevcomusicpublishing.com and in the global search enter the word bassango you will see the three options:  Bsn/Pn, 3Bsn&CBsn, and Bsn/Stgs.  The key remains constant so one might consider that the version for 3Bsn/CBsn could be performed with the string orchestra.  There would be a lot of doubling between the bassoon and string parts, but if the strings were told to always play under the bassoons, it might work.  It is about a 4-5 minute piece and always an audience favourite.

Other options:  Franz Brendler wrote a piece Variations for 3Bsn/Orch published by Riemann; Karl Koper has written several pieces for multiple bassoons (3 or more) and Orchestra that are available directly from the composer; Hubert Kross wrote a Concerto for 4Bsn/Orch (WAS available from Feja...don't know where or how to get it now since I think Feja is defunct); Kummer wrote a Concerto for 4Bsn/Orch (1809) that was available from Bartholomaus; also availabile from Bartholomaus is the Messina-Rosaryo "Le sette Meraviglie d'Italia" for 3Bsn/Cbsn/Orch; Pratella (1880-1955) wrote a Largo (1932) for 4Bsn and small orchestra; and Weissenborn's "Kleine Suite" was arranged by Geese for 3Bsn/Orch and is published by Sikorski.