Topic: Summer Amateur Program in the Southeast?

Hi All--
   I'm an adult amateur bassoonist, with limited vacation time. I'm looking for a week long chamber music or orchestral camp or other playing experience this summer in a friendly, high quality, non-competitive environment. I've found programs on the East Coast (far away of me) or near-by (Walla Walla, WA), however my wife would like to combine it with a trip to see relatives in the southeast ideally in a location where she can go to the beach while I'm playing the bassoon. I'm having some difficulty finding a program. The Florida gulf coast would be ideal. Anywhere in the Southeast would be possible.
  Do any of you know of any such summer programs, or could you suggest other ways for me to continue my search?
Best wishes, Bill

Bill Wilson
Portland OR

Re: Summer Amateur Program in the Southeast?

I would suggest the Glickman-Popkin Bassoon Camp..May 28-June 8, 2007 at Little Switzerland, NC.  It's not far from Asheville, NC and is aimed at adults...no competition... opportunities for all sorts of chamber music, instrument repairs by Jim Laslie/Paul Nordby..great clinicians..very friendly atmosphere.

Re: Summer Amateur Program in the Southeast?

Bill, if you're looking to play chamber music for a week with - trios, quartets, quintets, of assorted instrumentation, check out the Chamber Music program at Chapel Hill - University in North Carolina.  It's perfect for amateur/semi-pro status with a great teaching staff.  Maybe the dates would even coincide with Bassoon Camp in the other part of North Carolina - the Popkin Camp - where you will be around bassoonists and learn a lot about the bassoon.  That camp has a long standing tradition of excellence.

www.unc.edu/music/chamber-workshop 

You can stay in the dorms or look into the VRBO website (Vacation Rental By Owner - www.vrbo.com) in the Chapel Hill area and find a nice little apt for your wife and yourself for the week. 

Feel free to contact me privately if you need further info.

Smart thinking!  Combine vacation with playing your horn.  Best way to go!  smile

Another thought:  try "googling" summer music festivals or some variation of that phrase and you are sure to come up with lots of choices - both in The States and Abroad.  Carpe Diem!