Topic: Parking for 2014 IDRS

I'm planning to drive to NYC for the conference and stay in a dorm room. Does anybody know how will parking be handled?

Christopher Brodersen
Maker of Historical Keyboard Instruments
Reviewer/contributor - Fanfare Magazine
Amateur bassoonist, baroque oboist, baroque bassoonist

Re: Parking for 2014 IDRS

Norma answered this question for me in a private e-mail--we're all "on our own" as far as parking in NYC.   sad

Christopher Brodersen

Ahh man, that'll cost a fortune sad

I was planning on staying in a dorm too, but hearing that, I may opt to stay in a cheap hotel outside of the city and drive back/forth each day. Hmmm

If you're thinking of getting a hotel/motel outside of NYC, find one near public transportation in and out of the city. On Long Island and in Westchester that would be trains, and in NJ that would be busses or trains. Worth investigating.... Charles McCracken

Actually, my solution to the parking problem is to do exactly what Charles suggests--stay in New Jersey. In fact, there is a link on the IDRS/Conference website to the Hilton Newark Penn Station, which is connected directly to Lower Manhattan via subway. There's a parking garage right next to the hotel--$20 a day, I think they said.

I booked a room there at $159/night plus tax for the duration. Pretty reasonable for the Big Apple.

Christopher Brodersen

For any New York insiders...are there any other alternative lots for less than $20 per day..for example, a park 'n ride lot or some fringe airport lot where one could pick up a train in to the city?

Richard Ramey
bassoonhipster@gmail.com
bassoonbonanza.com
javalinapress.com

Starting to seem like NYC has many logistical concerns for a major conference such as IDRS that should have been considered.

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Oboehotty wrote:

Starting to seem like NYC has many logistical concerns for a major conference such as IDRS that should have been considered.

I would give the committee a bit more credit. Things like parking are often a primary concern for events like this, and literally the first thing everyone asked about upon finding out the conference was in NYC. I'm sure it came up in discussion.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Having lived in NYC for nearly 7 years, as well as in Westchester County, I can tell you that it would be much more convenient to take public transportation - subways & trains, depending where you are. Even if you stayed farther away from the Village, you'll find that you can get to NYU within 6 subway stops or less. There are express trains that run from Scarsdale, White Plains (probably the larger more economical of the two mentioned) and many other small suburbs in Westchester that have express trains.

One last suggestion is that I've used VRBO (vacation Rentals by Owner) all over the world and nation and have never had a problem that wasn't either fixable or that was serious enough to have to move. Many do provide parking, (though probably for just one car) and are in all parts of NYC as well as the other five boroughs. You'll find that many are affordable and in good neighborhoods. The prices - at least compared to hotels are comparable & even better in many cases - especially as you have the ability to really live like a New Yorker, who buys the items for their dinners one to two days in advance at most, in many cases from local bodegas and fruit and vegetable stands. There are also gourmet grocery stores galore, Zabars is fantastic!!

Heck, you can even bring your small pet to many if them, if you wanted to.

Just another thought about parking & accommodations, that I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot by sharing since I haven't nailed down which one I want yet! wink

Best if luck!

Kristie