Topic: Weissenborn Op.8 No.1 - Different Editions

Dear all,

I am ordering the Weissenborn Op.8 No.1 studies for one of my students.  There are several editions in print, one by Peters (the most expensive) and a couple others (just over half the price of the Peters edition).  Does anyone know if these are essentially the same?   

Sincerely,
Wai Kit Leung

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Re: Weissenborn Op.8 No.1 - Different Editions

While I can't specifically answer your question about the Peters Edition since I've not seen it, I want to plug Doug Spaniol's excellent edition of the Weissenborn published by Hal Leonard.  Doug has put a lot into it and has made the studies a much more teachable method than the Carl Fischer books that my son and I both learned from.

Bryan Cavitt
Bassoonist, Bassoon Dad

Dear Mr. Cavitt,

Thanks for your info.  However, I am asking about the Op.8 No.1 studies specifically, which are different from the Weissenborn Method (The Carl Fischer edition of the Method includes the Op.8 No.2 studies, but not the No.1). 

Sincerely,
Wai Kit Leung

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

I only have immediate access to the Carl Fischer editions. So I can't speak as to if they're much different, but the engraving is clean and easy to read. At least the No.2 studies are the same as in the back of the Ambrosio edition by Carl Fischer.

My guess is that most of the editions use the same original plates (i.e. neither have been re type-set), so they'll be essentially identical.

Note that Carl Fischer publishes two versions of the Method. One edited by Bettoney ("enlarged edition" with a white cover) has the Midle "scale studies" while the other by Ambrosio (purple or red cover) has the Op. 8 No. 2.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds