Topic: Portable music stand

I'm looking for a portable stand that makes a good compromise between light and strong.  I will have to travel on public transit with my bassoon on my back when we get to the UK.  At present I have a Nilson Magic which I love but I'm afraid to take it on the plane.  Any suggestions?

Re: Portable music stand

I have a Hamilton KB90 orchestra stand which is very stong but certainly not light. What might work well for you is a plastic shelf that you simply slip over your wire music stand shelf. It firms up the stand and gives you a storage area for reed, etc. You can get one here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manhasset-Music … 1094wt_900

David Crispin
Crispin's Creations and Accessories
freelance oboist. Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
www.CrispinsCreations.com

I have this stand and I love it.   It folds up into a carry bag, and is as sturdy and almost as non-tippable as a Manhasset:

http://www.wwbw.com/Peak-Music-Stands-P … 25482.wwbw

Darlene

Yes, I got very serious about that Peak one but it is 5 pounds and I will be toting it on buses along with my bassoon, accessories bag, music, blah, blah, so I decided against it.   I finally went back to my first love and found a second hand Nilton Magic on eBay (3.5 pounds) and decided if it got bashed up on the plane I'd just get a lightweight wire frame over there and re-think another time.  I do love those Nilton Magics.  They have a double shelf desk and fold up into themselves in a unique way.

I posted a reply and it's gone.  sad 
For small and light, I think the all-time champ is the Reeds n Stuff bassoon stand. 

http://millermarketingco.com/productpag … stands.htm  (second stand)

For light but not all that small, another good candidate is the inexpensive stand by Miller Marketing, which he has yet to put on his site.  But I have one, and at 50 dollars, it works very very well

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Music stand, not bassoon stand, Dean.  But you are right, the K&M bassoon stand is the greatest, IMHO.

NancyDuncan wrote:

Music stand, not bassoon stand, Dean.  But you are right, the K&M bassoon stand is the greatest, IMHO.

I am so quick on the uptake that I even surprise myself.  Actually I was giving you the answer to the next question that you were going to ask.

I think I'll quietly leave, now....

Last edited by Dean (2013-06-18 18:21:47)

Maybe you could make some money reprising Johnny Carson's Karnak the Magician, Dean.

(Holding card to head...) You are wondering what the weather will be like tomorrow!

I'm curious what about the combination of the Nilton and planes is troubling you (this is more for me than you as I've looked a lot for stands, too). Tnx…

Last edited by kby (2014-06-14 15:52:31)

Well, I was just afraid the Nilton would get broken in transit since it is all plastic (well, the desk part anyway).  Then I'd have nothing.  Also, it is kind of big and not so easy to tote around on public transportation, even when folded up.  I ended up with a very lightweight metal stand which is o.k. but of course doesn't have the double desk, etc.etc. that more expensive stands do.  But it's very light and I hardly notice it along with everything else hanging on my shoulder.

I'm assuming that if you have an ivory bell ring, you will have a CITE passport for same? (Rediculous that we have to go through all this!)  Jim

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Yes, it is ridiculous.  I have a 10 year old Moosmann so think I'm o.k.  Thanks for the thought.