Topic: Gebruder Monnig Artist Special Bassoon

Just had a young student buy one of these.  Seems to play pretty well (I briefly tried it out), especially considering price.  Does anyone have any idea what bocals might be a good fit?  There is one Moennig Bocal included with this bassoon, but I'm not familiar with the Moennig Bocals at all.  Are they of decent quality?  Budget of this student probably allows for a replacement bocal...would a Fox R2 CVX 2 be a likely good fit?  This instrument apparently was displayed in a Doctor's Office for several years..was purchased new in the early 1990s.  Body, pads and keywork in very good condition.  Would bore oiling, or a complete oil bath, be indicated?  Thanks for any thoughts or information..

Frank Watson
Spartanburg (SC) Philharmonic Orchestra
Converse College Petrie School of Music

Re: Gebruder Monnig Artist Special Bassoon

If it's been simply sitting and on display for several years it will definitely need a full servicing. Key oiling, pad sealing/replacing and oiling the bore. I can only imagine the wood an pads are as dry as Arizona in July. Obviously you want someone that specializes in bassoons to do this work.

Fox CVX bocal will be good for response especially in the upper register and will also probably quite stable. A Heckel C bore (CC, CD, or C, no V or XL) will probably bring a more traditional sound to the table, with a bit of a sacrifice to very high notes. Just an assumption, without playing the bassoon. No idea about how good a Moennig bocal from the 90's will be. Much older ones are just so-so. Haven't really had a chance to try those made in the last 5 years or so.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Gebruder Monnig Artist Special Bassoon

Hi Frank-

I would agree that if a bassoon has been sitting that long it would be substantially beneficial to have it serviced by a competent bassoon technician. I would recommend getting it serviced and up to suitable playing condition first and foremost even before investigating new bocals. A leaky bassoon with old pads will take on a totally different sound, response and scale pitch tendencies if it is indeed leaky and needs to be sealed.

You can check for leakage in the wing, boot and bell joints by stopping up one end (finger on the bocal end of the wing,  or pressing firmly againist the skin area of your leg for the long joint and bell joint, the boot you will need a rubber stopper that fits the tenon socket for the long joint), sealing the open holes and sucking the air out. The wing should get a great deal of suction pressure and can maintain its vacuum for a full minute or more if it is sealing tight. The other for 30 seconds or more. If they don't, then that's an excellent indicator it needs work.

I would be more than happy to help you with any servicing you may need, as I work have bassoons shipped to me from all over for repairs, restoration, and custom keywork. Or if you need reccomendations for good bassoon techs that may be closer, I would be glad to try to steer you to someone that can help your needs.

I hope this helps, any questions or concerns that you may have please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cordially,
Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492