Topic: Playing bassoon with dentures?

Hello,

I'm a bassoonist who unfortunately has to undergo surgery on my top teeth, where I will be getting partial dentures, soon to be full, when the money is available.  I plan on getting dentures on the 24th of July. Although I have heard of people playing with dentures, I wanted to know what should I expect? Also does anyone know any idea of how to make a quick recovery from it, or if it will really affect my playing that much. I'm a junior in college, 20 years old,  majoring in instrumental music education, so if you have any advice on any instrument with dentures, help is much appreciated, although my primary worry is bassoon.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much,

-Trevor.

Last edited by sparkyroxas (2014-07-17 14:32:58)

Re: Playing bassoon with dentures?

I have had full dentures for approximately 15 years and have had little difficulty adapting my bassoon playing. Of course there is going to be some adjustment time just as there will be for eating, speaking, etc. My advice is to use a good denture adhesive. Dentists will pretend that dentures that fit well will be stable from suction alone. I've had three sets so far, they have all fit well - I could probably get through day to day life without adhesive, but there is no question it's necessary when playing. I double on all woodwinds and the most difficult adaptation with dentures is for clarinet. The angle of the mouthpiece and embouchure for clarinet produce a leverage effect on the front of the denture that tends to pull it loose at the back. But you CAN adapt. I have successfully played in the pit for musicals every year since I got my dentures with a variety of doublings from soprano sax to bass clarinet and bassoon with nearly every instrument in between. Hang in there, be patient and you will be just fine.

Rich Gordley

Hello rgordley,

Can you recommend a particular denture adhesive? or is it just personal preference after trial and error?

Thanks.

rlewis wrote:

Hello rgordley,

Can you recommend a particular denture adhesive? or is it just personal preference after trial and error?

Thanks.

I use Poligrip, I tried Fixadent but it didn't seem to have staying power. Disclaimer: I have no interest in the Poligrip company.

Rich Gordley

rgordley wrote:
rlewis wrote:

Hello rgordley,

Thanks.

I use Poligrip, I tried Fixadent but it didn't seem to have staying power. Disclaimer: I have no interest in the Poligrip company.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.