Topic: Barber Symphony #1, 1st mvt....

Does anyone have a 'trick' fingering for the E4 to high Ab slur passage in the fast passage of the 1st mvt? Thanks in advance for any advice. jj

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Re: Barber Symphony #1, 1st mvt....

Oops, meant E3!

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

I do not know  the passage, but I have an excellent Ab slur fingering. Use the normal fingering in left hand but, right hand, only thumb Bb and low F keys. So.. LH 1/2 2 3 whisper, + lowEb RH Bb F. Very solid, slight color change and fairly good intonation. I think I made it up, but someone probably did before me.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

On high Ab I use only the thumb F# key  in the right hand. Worked well for me on this passage. The left hand is as usual.

Last edited by dclark (2014-08-15 17:15:35)

Yeah, just F# is good too, or just F. On my horn the F# alone is high and F alone is too low. My sons horn is fine with just the F#. The Bb key makes using the F key higher and more solid.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.