Topic: Teaching track - methods - etc for various levels of oboe student

Hi everyone,
I am trying to hone and streamline my teaching methods and what methods I use with my student at various levels and am looking for advice.

What do you use for various levels of students as far as methods and any supplemental materials?

Middle school students - intermediate
High school - intermediate to advanced

I am finding I and my students who are using Barrett are getting bored quickly (!!!! Gasp). I know it's the 'gold standard' but frankly I need something different for my advanced students other than Barrett. I know they will do it in college and again in grad school (and maybe even again if they choose to go further) so I am trying to avoid Barrett for the advanced ones.

Also I am getting bored with gekeler for the intermediate students. Thoughts on other methods and/or scale books and sight reading other than the aforementioned and Ferling?

Looking for new, creative, exciting oboe methods to change things up for a while. Hope I don't start a firestorm hmm

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Teaching track - methods - etc for various levels of oboe student

Shawn...I've used Blaine Edelfsen's Oboe Student series of books pretty successfully.  3 Volumes of Instructional materials, with another 3 volumes of "Tunes for Technic" as well as another 3 volumes of "Technical Exercises" (at least that is what I remember about the various volumes)  Presents technical materials (left hand F vs. forked, half holing, use of correct 8va keys) very logically....well printed, good paper and cover, durable.  reasonably priced per volume, although I guess all 9 volumes together would probably exceed the cost of a Barret book.

I used Andraud some lo many years ago (~1972). It has a rather large mix of stuff, but it's probably more of a "pick and choose" book. Has a lot of familiar (not necessarily oboe) melodic stuff. The reed part in the front would be pretty useless these days, unless you're a fan of French style reeds.

I actually use the Rubank books - with the basic blue covers, available in any music/band store.  Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced I and Advanced II.  They're arranged intelligently for oboe, introducing fingerings in order of difficulty rather than band-director's convenience.  A nice mix of exercises, melodies, and duets.  If my HS kids get all the way through Advanced II I move them into Ferling, which is musically too hard but technically satisfying.

Shawn, I was rather hoping to see that firestorm of replies. I'll venture a reply to keep the dialogue going. I believe far too many oboe instructors teach the way they were taught, and so we (over)use Gekeler, Barret and Ferling etudes in the studio. One recent innovative alternative was developed by my former student Linwood "Chip" Zoller as part of his doctoral dissertation requirement at Louisiana State University. He began this line of inquiry when we were both at the University of Georgia (jump in if you read this, Chip.) The monograph is now free online at http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-11112011-090013/  It takes 13 fine etudes from under-represented method books written during the period of common practice to develop a new edited compilation.

You may also wish to have students compose or arrange their own music. This may develop other relevant skills and be an engaging exercise.

-best wishes,
Dwight

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>