Topic: Other Rimpl Tools

Hi everybody!

A lot of ink has been spilled on the Rimpl "Ultimate" tip profiler. Has anyone ever used their profiler or gouger? Never seen any discussion on those. There's a lot of machines out there now. Curious how those compare to others and if they're seeing any of the popularity that the tip profiler seems to.

Re: Other Rimpl Tools

I think the main reason you don't see much discussion of the Rimpl machines other than the tip profiler is that nobody is importing them to the US actively. Whereas Justin Miller has been importing just the tip profiler for quite a number of years now.

I would like to know how the profiler is. The tip profiler has proven itself to me after years of use and thousands of reeds.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Trent, Justin advertises both the profiler and the gouger on his website. I'm not sure how many he sells (if any).

I like the ease of the glide on the carriage of the tip profiler and imagine it would be the same for the other two machines. I also like how easily the thickness can be adjusted on the tip profiler with just the set screw and dial. If the profiler and gouger are similar, it might be worth a look, especially as my Rieger profiler has been falling out of adjustment every time I sneeze.

http://www.millermarketingco.com/ultima … /index.htm

Scroll down and you'll see the profiler and gouger (with guillotine built in)