Topic: Works for English horn and orchestra/strings

Hi everyone,
I have a very talented oboist/english hornist who is a junior in HS. For her senior year she wants to audition for the concerto competition of the local youth symphony, which is pretty good. I am pretty "up" on EH literature for concertos with orchestra or strings but am drawing a blank on this one. She doesn't want to play Donizetti. She really wants to do the Fuchs "eventide" which I am pushing her, adamantly, away from. I think I own nearly everything for EH and am coming up with no ideas. Have looked all over YouTube for ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions? She is pretty talented and can handle some of the more difficult literature. She has also found the Manookian,which again I am steering her away from. I want the work accessible to the orchestra as well as the audience. In short it needs to be something she can "hit a home run with..." I would even be willing to have her play an unpublished arrangement if one is out there of something. Thanks in advance!

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Works for English horn and orchestra/strings

Shawn....

I could only think of a couple....but someone has posted many concerti (or solo pieces) for EH and strings (and/or full orchestra) in wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … glish_horn

This would be somewhere to start...

Delmar

Shawn and colleagues, don't forget the exhaustive English Horn Bibliography by our friend Sandro Caldini on the IDRS home page http://www.idrs.org/resources/EHBlibliography/home.php

Even if something is out of print, you may be able to acquire it through Interlibrary Loan, or even an informal inter-collegial loan...

-best to all,
Dwight

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>

Dwight,
I had forgotten about that! Thank you for reminding us. smile

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)