Topic: Dimensions of EH Reed

Would someone please tell me the dimensions of an english horn reed (tie length, wire, windows, heart, tip, etc.).

I make a good long American scrape oboe reed, and would like to make a similar english horn reed, but understand that they are shorter than the oboe reeds, so the dimensions must be considerably different.

I would also appreciate any recommendations on shaper tips that you care to give me.

Edward B. Flowers (ob)
New York City

Re: Dimensions of EH Reed

I gouge my own cane on a "Reeds N' Stuff" circular blade gouger. I gouge at .70 in the center and try to stay around .58 on the sides -- sometimes a bit thinner.

I use Chudnow gold plated or brass staples -- depending on the day. I also use a Giocabassi shaper tip, though I am in the market for a wider more robusk sounding tip. I use wire about 2 mm above the end of the tube.

Wrap length is between 59 and 60 mm and finish length, for me at least, is between 55 - 56 mm. I use a long scrape (American scrape) and play on a Loree horn about about 2 and 1/2 years old -- with a phillip ross gold plated bocal. I also occasionally play on a Hiniker bocal. I own a Dallas/Lickman bocal but do not care for it.

Hope this helps
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Hi Ed.  My dimensions are pretty close to Shawn's; but here they are.  I typically tie around 61mm, but can fluctuate +or- 1mm.  Finished length: 55-57, typically 56; also on a chudnow staple.  Back corners of tip are around 52-3; back of heart around 45mm.  I ussually don't use wire, but I never take any options off the table.

Hope this helps.

Barrett Seals
Solo EH US Coast Guard Band

Ed,

I use Tom Stacy's dimemsions handed out at one of his Carmel Valley CA master classes a number of years ago. They have served me very well. Here they are:

On a 27 mm tube, tie length is 59 mm; tip 3 to 4 mm; heart/plateau 7 to 8 mm; windows 15 mm; wire 3 mm above the thread (I don't use wire, have tried but get better results without it) Playing length 55 to 57 mm I put a small length of aquarium tubing on the big end of the tube before tying to create a seal between the tube & the bocal. I use Bob Hubbard's Giacobassi shaper. The reeds are much hardier & last much longer than oboe reeds. Tubes as well as the aquarium tubing are from Forrests Music in Berkeley CA. I find that the ridge at the big end of the tube anchors the plastic tubing better than the smooth tubes. Personal preference. Cane: gougedNeuranter from Justin Miller & Nielsens at the Austin IDRS vendor sales.

Best,

john

Best,

john