Topic: Gouger and shaper tip match....

I have been doing a lot of reading and experimenting lately as I have been in a reed rut for oh....4 months sad

A statement about "the shaper tip needs to be a good match for the gouge" keeps cropping up in my reading. I'm curious what shaper tip everyone finds success with for a Driscol Opus 1 gouger. What shape do you find matches it best?

This may be an arbitrary question... It just seems to be popping up a lot in my reading and I thought I would ask. I know there are many other factors at play.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Gouger and shaper tip match....

Hey Shawn!

I've been using an Opus 1 exclusively for about seven years now.  I've tried many shaper tips along the way, but keep coming back to the Jeanne "M" tip, which is the one Robin recommended to me when I bought the machine.  I've also had relatively good luck with the "standard" Jeanne tip, the RDG Mack "+," and the Adam "Sara" tip.  The Jeanne tips are the best made, in my opinion, as the sides seem much smoother and more precisely made than the others -- they are a joy to use! 

Whichever tip you are using may require an adjustment to the side thickness of the gouge, in order to get the opening you are looking for.  This is SO EASILY DONE with the Opus 1!

My current "set up:" 

- Opus 1 "M42" guide/blade, set to .60/.47 mm  (measured at the sides of the shape).
- Jeanne "M" shape.
- Loree "ak" staples, shortened to 46.5 mm.  (These fit perfectly on a Chudnow mandrel, BTW, as did the Stevens #3.)
- I position the folded cane even with the TOP of the ears on the tip, and tie just under 73 mm.

Let me know, either here or PM, if you have any other questions!  Good luck!

Last edited by Jonathan Marzluf (2014-12-26 14:39:55)

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

Oboehotty wrote:

I have been doing a lot of reading and experimenting lately as I have been in a reed rut for oh....4 months sad

A statement about "the shaper tip needs to be a good match for the gouge" keeps cropping up in my reading. I'm curious what shaper tip everyone finds success with for a Driscol Opus 1 gouger. What shape do you find matches it best?

This may be an arbitrary question... It just seems to be popping up a lot in my reading and I thought I would ask. I know there are many other factors at play.

Shawn

Did you change to the new gouger 4 months ago? Or something else change back then? I'll let Jonathan answer the question about the gouger/tip match, but if that wasn't the problem before 4 months ago, what leads you to believe it would be the cause of the rut now? I'd be concerned that changing something arbitrary (no matter how well intentioned) will only make it harder to figure out what is different now. I'm assuming your rut is of the variety "I used to make good/OK/great reeds and yet they just aren't the same now" as opposed to "my playing is a lot better/different due to learning/medical issues/etc. and I need something different than I had before" or "I changed a bunch of things and now I can't figure out which one caused the problem."-kby

I'm seasoned enough to know not to change more than one aspect of my setup at a time. Nothing has changed other than my questioning of my own sharpening skills and trying a couple different kinds of tubes, while still making every few on brands of tubes I have been using for years. Other than that, nothing has changed, including my shape, as of current.

Shawn Reynolds
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

I apologize if it seemed as if I was questioning your experience—that was not the intent.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask what the symptoms of your reed rut are (i.e. in what way are your reeds are reed-making process) now deficient that they (it) weren't (wasn't) before?

No offense taken. Didn't mean to sound curt....kiddos were screaming in the background.

Only change is considerable issues getting sharp knives lately and on a new horn as opposed to last year at this time. Didn't think it had that much of an effect but perhaps it is bigger than I had thought. I'm back to my original setup...reeds just don't seem as focused and complex as last year...more harsh and brittle.

Shawn Reynolds

If I were to guess, the knife issue is the thing most likely to have changed it. For me it is amazing what a difference that can make, and it often degrades subtly until all of a sudden…If the gradients in the tip (getting thinner to the edges and tip—not just making them thin) aren't smooth and relatively monotonic, that can do it. Also, changing the surface texture can affect things significantly. Having a not-sharp-enough or properly angled (for you) knife often makes you subconsciously do things that you wouldn't normally that affects one or more of the above, among other things, even if you don't destroy the blank in the process. Without seeing the reed, it's hard to say too much more.