Topic: Fox Model II bassoons from the 1990's

Hello All,

I am a long time bassoonist but new to IDRS. I am looking forward to being a part of this community, Now down to business. I am currently looking into switching bassoon models. I am partial to the sound concept of Fox bassoons and have owned several different models (240, 92' 201, 93' 601, 03' 660) and currently have a 201 from 2005. I have been toying with the idea of changing to a model II as I have heard several players who perform on these bassoons and have loved the tone. I do not have the funds to buy a new model II and so am looking at model II bassoons from the 1990's.

Can any of you who are familiar or currently play on a bassoon from this vintage share your experiences and thoughts on how these instruments perform as principle and second bassoons in semi-professional orchestras? I am based in Europe and so am limited in my ability to arrange trials for instruments located in the US.

Cheers

Re: Fox Model II bassoons from the 1990's

I play on a Model II Fox from the mid 1980's, although it has had the resonance upgrades applied (2002).  I have found this to be a lovely instrument that has broken in beautifully from when I purchased it new from Jim Laslie.  Mine is Black Maple, which I find to be (physically) a bit heavy, with a nice dark, resonant sound and a good pitch center.  I have played both Principal and Second Bassoon in several orchestras (as well as Chamber groups) with this Bassoon and have never felt it inhibited my successes or accentuated my failures.  I would gladly buy a new Model II (I especially like the Hugo Fox Models that I have recently played in  Red Maple), but I am quite happy with my own Model II.

Upon further thought, I currently play a *CTX* 2 (Original *CTX* not R2 model) on this Bassoon.  I was never particularly fond of the original *CVX* series bocals I tried, but have been very positively impressed with the *CVX*R2 Bocals I have tried on my Bassoon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Would you say that the model II has more resistance in the tenor register than a 201? One of the things I have come to realize with my new 201 is that I miss the "push back" of the 601 in the tenor range.

I've not played many 201s, but I do find them somewhat freer in the tenor range.  I enjoy having some resistance to blow against.  I find my Model II projects quite well in the upper register, never seem to have a problem carrying to the back row of an auditorium.  I like the intonation characteristics of my Bassoon, prefer it to 201s that I have played.  I find 201s to be brighter and more open than my II, I prefer the darker and more resistant (more focused maybe) long-bore instruments.  I played all the new Fox models at Glickman/Popkin Bassoon Camp last summer, and my preference was for the aforementioned "Hugo Fox" Model II in Red Maple, and I found the newest Model 680 (I preferred the Mountain Maple model with the smaller bore bell) to be quite good as well.  I believe I could play any of the Bassoons I tried there very comfortably, including 201s, 660s, 601, 260 Renard and 220 Renard.  I find when my Bassoon gets out of adjustment, I tend to lust after a new instrument, but when I have my Model II adjusted by Paul Nordby (shameless plug), I return to loving my long-time friend.