Topic: Question about a slightly used Schreiber S54

My son, who is beginning high school in the fall, has learned about a slightly used Schreiber S54 bassoon that was purchased in 1970 by a music instructor in Lexington. We have not had the chance to try out the instrument yet, but I am trying to get some information about the quality of this model. I'm not finding much online, other than to find some other used ones for sale. Can anyone tell me where this model is on the spectrum between beginner and professional? Does the model have a good reputation? My son has expressed an interest in playing in college so I am interested if this instrument would carry him through. I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Re: Question about a slightly used Schreiber S54

Since I didn't find much on Schreiber S54s when I submitted this post--and among what I did find was mixed--I thought I would post an update. The Schreiber S54 turned out to be a good instrument with a rich sound. My son's private lesson instructor (who plays for the Lexington Philharmonic) played it and three of his students all played it before we made the purchase. They all gave it the thumbs up. My son likes its sound a lot...a significant step from the school-owned instruments he had been playing. Now I would like to do some research on the serial number to find out where it was made. Any suggestions?

Here you go...

http://bassoon.com/bassoons/serial-numbers/

Best- Steve

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Sorry, it only lists from 2006....oops!

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Thanks anyway, Steve.

Maarten Vonk should be able to help you.

bassoon.com/welcome

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

At that time, Schreibers were made in Nauheim.

I'm glad your son is happy with the bassoon. In the 60's and 70's you found Schreibers all over the place as Fox was not as prominent as they are now. As with about any bassoon, you found both good and bad examples.

I own a Polisi from 1970 which was actually a re-stamped Schreiber. It was a fine instrument which got me through college and my first professional jobs. I still own the instrument but do not play on it so much anymore.

Last edited by jsch3 (2015-02-21 08:49:29)