Topic: My first bassoon bocal attempt.

This is my first test bassoon bocal.  The mandrel is a straight taper and I used 10 thousandth brass shim stock.  This proved a bit too thin as can be seen from a kink where I dropped it however, it does play.   The next bocal is in construction using 20 thousandth stock which is much easier to work with.

Last edited by djoksch (2015-03-16 20:03:55)

Post's attachments

FirstBocal.jpg 24.16 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-03-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Doug Joksch
Oboe, E-Horn, Bassoon

Re: My first bassoon bocal attempt.

A Heckel CC bocal is .6mm thick, for a comparison. This is considered a "standard" thickness for bocals. .5mm is the thinnest you typically see.

Puchner and Wolf have bocals that are .7 or up to 1mm thick.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

The .25mm material created a very bright tone. I will create one or two with the .5mm material I have and work up to around 1mm.  I am also researching possible dimensions of the next forming mandrel taper.  I just completed a blank for bending.  Cerrobend will be used to fill the tube to prevent collapse during the bending process. 

My last broken bassoon bocal experiment was turned into a shorter English horn bocal.  Of course the inner dimensions and manufacturing consistency are going to be the challenge.

Last edited by djoksch (2015-03-17 22:29:19)

Post's attachments

photo 1-2.JPG 12.63 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-03-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Doug Joksch
Oboe, E-Horn, Bassoon

Yeah, .25mm would be super light and bright. Probably really good low register, like a very soft and open reed. Was it stable?

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds