Topic: Oboe- sagging 2nd line G

Hi,
Curious if anyone has isolated a specific area of scrape in an oboe Reed that may cause a sagging second line G. I bought a Marigaux horn about a year ago and love it other than I have a consistently sagging G when I try to play anything less than "mf" or try to taper the release of the note (much like a bad bocal on EH causes a sagging C).

I am trying to not resort to changes in the tone hole itself and exhaust all possible Reed "scraping" possibilities before having the tone hole adjusted. Any suggestions? American long scrape on a standard shape.....all other notes are stable.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Oboe- sagging 2nd line G

Shawn, you might try taking less out of the back of the reed and see if it improves.

David Crispin
Crispin's Creations and Accessories
freelance oboist. Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
www.CrispinsCreations.com

Re: Oboe- sagging 2nd line G

Thanks David. Seems to be a problem on my particular make of Oboe. Didn't want to do a bore adjustment but if the scrape doesn't change it, may have to. Will try that...appreciated.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)