Topic: leather balance hanger

I have a few solo events coming up (competitions, recitals, soloing, chamber recitals) where I am required to stand. I have a Fox 220 bassoon and I was wondering if anyone had used a leather balance hanger.
I have tried a few bassoons with metal balance hangers but if the leather works just as find ill go for the cheaper alternative.
does anyone have any advice? i used a BG shoulder strap.
does the leather balance hanger work just as well? block any keys on my model? or should I just go for the metal one, and what should I know about that if i do.
thanks

alternatively, would this http://store.mmimports.com/fox-bassoon- … er-plated/ be a good alternative for my instrument since its not wildly expensive? (obviously  i would have my repair tech do it, since he's pretty good about pricing)

Last edited by Bassoon24 (2015-05-31 06:46:40)

Re: leather balance hanger

I'm sorry, I have no experience with a leather balance hanger.

I do use the Fox metal balance hanger (as pictured in the mmimports link). It works very well, and makes playing while standing much more comfortable than without one.

I just finished answering your query about adding keywork to your instrument. If you choose to have any of that work done, you might as well add the balance hanger to it, your budget permitting. Any good repairman can add the hole and grommet to your instrument, but Fox has the jig to achieve precise alignment.

thank you so much for the help William! I really appreciate it! I'll just have my repair guy add the metal balance hanger too smile

I have the leather hanger (in addition to the metal one) and I decided very quickly that it was only a temporary solution.  It definitely can interfere with some keywork, although this is probably less of an issue with the 220.  In retrospect I should have just gone straight to the metal hanger to begin with, but anything that involves drilling holes makes me nervous.  (Which it shouldn't have in this case - it was an excellent investment.)

Mark Ortwein, in Indianapolis, sells a metal balance hanger which does not require any drilling.  It's priced quite a bit cheaper than other balance hangers.  I got mine a few years ago, works just fine on my long bore Fox Model II.  He has a couple different models based upon the shape (I guess) of the neck strap hook on the boot.  I'd recommend contacting him.  Just my $.02.

Frank Watson
Spartanburg Philharmonic Orchestra
Converse College Petrie School of Music

My son also has one of Mark Ortwein's on his Renard 240.  Never a problem and much less than the Fox.

You're welcome, Bassoon24. I'm glad to help.