Topic: "rule" for trilling? - Classical

Hi Early Music Fans,

I figured this was the best place to put a performance practice question. I'm studying the CPE Bach A minor solo flute sonata, and I'm concerned with whether the trills should be a whole or half step. Basically, the movement is in a minor, there is a big half cadence on the dominant, and I'm wondering if the trill should go E-F or E-F#. This occurs in all three movements. On the one hand, there is no F# in the key signature, and one should trill within the key signature (right?), but on the other hand, its a major-dominant. F natural is not part of the dominant key.  I have my own leaning about which way it should be, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of "rule." I've already looked through CPE Bach's treatise, and found nothing related to this.  Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!
Kendra Johnson

Re: "rule" for trilling? - Classical

Hi,
OK, generally I'm cautious of the verb ""should" when it comes to music. If you're asking I take it neither choice sounds awful to you and neither sounds unquestionably right compared to the other choice. Generally it's determined by the tonality you're in at that moment. Tell me some measure #'s and I'll tell you what notes I'd play.

Okay, let me re-phrase. I know which way I ~prefer~, but I'm curious about what others think.

I'm talking about m. 69 in the first mvt, m. 94 in the second, and m. 137 in the third.

I can see reasons to play it either way.

KJ

So sorry this took so long. Forgot one day then went out of town and away from computer. You probably already know what I'm going to say. Natural (flat for me, since I play the piece in G minor). Trillling from F# there would make it seem like after the pause you're going to launch into a major key final episode. A lot of pieces do that (Beethoven didn't invent it in the C minor symph), but this one definitely doesn't. In fact I get a little joy holding the apoggiatura Eb right after playing the E (F and F# in the original key).

I guess I can't quote a hard rule about why this should be so other than the obvious one that technically speaking, accidentals apply to either the note or the bar, but don't spill over the barline. Still I don't like the major second trill because I think it sounds goofy.