Topic: Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap alternative to a cane splitter?

Besides using a knife or razor blade, which I know most people probably do. I just like how darned quick the Rieger bassoon cane splitter does the job. Something else has to have an X pattern blade thing that will work.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap alternative to a cane splitter?

I've wondered (but never investigated) if some sort of hunting arrow might work as a cane splitter. I've seen them with a three-blade point, but haven't gone looking for a four-blade version, which is what I think you're after. Could be worth exploring, though

David A. Wells
Lecturer – Bassoon and Music History
California State University, Sacramento
davidawells.com

I did find that Forrests offers a splitter similar to the Rigotti one that looks like an arrow as opposed to the Rieger brass tube model, and it's only $60 as opposed to more than $100.

I also thought of a hunting arrow, but not having the things around to hold in my hand an measure what we'd need to measure makes it difficult.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Huh... apparently there is a whole range of splitters meant for bamboo. Here's four-bladed version: http://www.amazon.com/SENKICHI-Bamboo-S … B003VUWNGU. This one looks bigger (and perhaps duller) than we'd want, but it might be something else to investigate further.

David A. Wells
Lecturer – Bassoon and Music History
California State University, Sacramento
davidawells.com

A couple of years ago my dad and I were trying to make one too-- he bought a hunting arrow and we thought maybe we could somehow affix it inside a length of pipe, but never really managed to find the right way to do that. I suppose it could be welded if the materials were agreeable. We gave up after not very long and I went back to my stanley knife/hammer combo!