Topic: Favorite Brand of Bassoon Cane?

Hi all,

I'm always in search of new cane to try, so I thought I'd start another topic on the subject.

At the moment, most of my reeds are made from either Miller's Select Reserve cane, which I believe comes from Spain, or from Danzi cane bought from AllBassoonCane.
I find the Spanish cane in particular lasts quite a while, with several reeds still playing well after the three month mark.  The Danzi is less durable, but due to the profile, requires less work after clipping to get to a playable condition.

What cane does everyone else love at the moment?

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Re: Favorite Brand of Bassoon Cane?

I've been having some terrific results with some gouged cane I bought from Brian Charles about a year ago.  His own brand...rumor is that it's from a cane field adjacent to Rigotti.  I need to pick up some more..hope it'll be similar.

Australian cane is still my favorite. I use it exclusively for my reeds. See New source of bassoon cane

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

I'm with Yoshi on this one. The Australian cane works best for me. Good sound, tone and response thoughout the entire range of the instrument. It took a while to understand how to work with it but it's going very well now.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds