Topic: IDRS 50th Anniversary Commissioning Project

Dear IDRS Members,

I am happy to inform the membership that to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of the International Double Reed Society, the Executive Committee has moved to commission three new double reed works.  The works will be two 12-15 minute concertos/concertinos, one for oboe and chamber orchestra and one for bassoon and chamber orchestra.  Each will have a piano reduction available.  The third piece will be a multi-movement oboe, bassoon and piano trio of approximately 15 minutes in length.  The works will be premiered at our 2021 conference.

As President, I have created three Executive Committee sub-committees to begin the process of identifying composers for the three commissions.  The sub-committees are:

Oboe Concerto/Concertino: Jeff Rathbun rathbun@idrs.org (convener), Michele Fiala fiala@idrs.org and Dan Stolper stolper@idrs.org
Bassoon Concerto/Concertino: Eric Stomberg stomberg@idrs.org (convener), Lenny Hindell hindell@idrs.org and Yoshi Ishikawa ishikawa@idrs.org
Oboe, Bassoon and Piano Trio: Martin Schuring schuring@idrs.org (convener), Sarah Roper roper@idrs.org and Ryan Romine romine@idrs.org

I have asked each subcommittee to compile a short list of composers for consideration with a final decision to be made within the year.  I also ask the membership to forward any suggestions of composers to the appropriate sub-committee members.  Please do this by March 15, 2016.  You can find a list of committee members’ emails on the IDRS website and in each Double Reed Journal.

Thank you for your continued support of the IDRS and I look forward to this project and others that will be occurring to celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the IDRS.

Best,

Keith Sweger, President
International Double Reed Society
http://www.idrs.org

Professor of Bassoon
Ball State University

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications