Topic: Brandenburg Concerto #2, reed question.

Hi,
I was asked to perform the 2nd Brandenburg Concerto and the violinist told me that he wanted to play it on a baroque instrument. He asked me if I could lower my intonation to something between 430 and 440 because of the violin hmm.

My question is, how can I make my reeds to have a lower intonation (flat)?

Thanks.

Re: Brandenburg Concerto #2, reed question.

Relative intonation on the instrument can really suffer when trying to pull out the reed in the reed well to lengthen it and lower pitch.  A small amount of pulling out will assist slightly without much detrimental effect, along with using a longer staple.  Using a wider shape can also lower the pitch, as will freeing up the reed in the heart near the tip.  However, I have never been able to play lower than 435 on my set-up without having an unstable pitch and unhelpful intonation.  The violin should have more flexibility in tuning sharper.  Will the flute be able to play 430?
The Early Music Forum section of this IDRS forum would be a good place to continue this discussion, as well as a discussion of the various pitches used by Baroque performers.

Re: Brandenburg Concerto #2, reed question.

I told him that 430 is really very flat and that it would be difficult also for the trumpet and flute. He said that the violin couldn't be tuned too sharp and that 440 would be kind of difficult. I guess that it would be rather hard to lower the intonation a lot on the wind instruments and still be able to maintain a good sound quality.

Well.. I figure that he could play with a modern violin and save us all this trouble. After all, he just wanted to know if there were possiblities to play like that.

Thanks!