Topic: Fox Maple English horn

Hi all,
Very curious about the fox maple English horn I see Pedro Diaz is playing. There seems to be little information about them in the Fox website. Has anyone played one? Thoughts? What is the cost?

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Fox Maple English horn

I played one of these English horns at the IDRS conference last summer. It was wonderful, especially if you're looking for a lighter weight English horn.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

I tried it this summer in Columbus  and bought one  from Hannah when I got  home, and I love it.
It has great focus and projection, and is  so much lighter than my Loree horn was.
I am using a Laubin bocal  right now, but it sounds great with my Hinniker also.

I played it  last week for a run of a new ballet and everyone loved it.
This week we are doing  the  Lutoslawski Concerto on the  first orchestra set of the season and the conductor came up  at break and complimented me on the solo  after the first run-through.
He didn't know I had a new instrument.

I'm very  happy with it, and so is my arm!

Last edited by EHdamore (2016-09-16 18:35:40)

Would love to see a photo. Glad you like it!

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Shawn, I noticed that there are pictures of the "Tristan" model 580 English horn on Fox's website: http://www.foxproducts.com/fox-tristan-model-580/

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn