Topic: App To Help with the Teaching of Vibrato...facebook post by Ted Soluri

A facebook post by bassoonist Ted Soluri...........
Dear musician friends and colleagues who use and teach vibrato. I don't know about you but I find teaching vibrato one of the harder aspects of teaching. There are so many options and variables and if only we could see inside our students' bodies to see exactly what's going on.
Well, two weeks ago, while I was teaching at a Bocal Majority camp here in Dallas, I was introduced to an AMAZING app by a student that can help teach this important musical tool. It's called Pitch Lab and is available through the App Store and I assume it's available for other operating systems as well. It's technically an app for guitarists. It's a free app, but if you download it you need to also buy the All-in-One package ($2.99) which gives you what you're looking for.
Once you buy that package, you scroll right until you find the Pitch Spectogram. This thing is amazing. It gives you a visualization of how you vibrate. Whether you teach to vibrate up from the pitch, down from the pitch, from below the pitch up, or above and below the pitch (which is what I teach) you will clearly see a visual representation of what's going on.
I cannot stress enough how great a tool this will become for me and hopefully for others! It's even interesting to get it just to see what YOU are doing smile

Last edited by delmar (2016-07-30 22:22:38)

Re: App To Help with the Teaching of Vibrato...facebook post by Ted Soluri

Thanks!!! Looking for it now, I keep getting older students that need to control a fast nanny goat vibrato, ( on bassoon), hard one to eliminate and control.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Re: App To Help with the Teaching of Vibrato...facebook post by Ted Soluri

Well, I've tried the app, works nicely. I found another app called "tunable", it's available on iPhone and Google. Tunable has a vibrato setting, width and is made for wind instruments. The app has a line graph so you can see width and depth and can be used with the included metronome. Good teaching/learning tool.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.