Topic: Some Reviews of the new Legere Oboe Reeds.....

From the IDRS Facebook page.......

Justin Liu Hey Delmar, I would love to share my thoughts on the reed!

Here's the post I've made to oboists in the world last week.

JUST GOT MY LEGERE OBOE REED AFTER WAITING EVERYDAY FOR A YEAR!!!!
Update!!!
Here are my take on the legere oboe reed after playing it for 6 hours:
- much harder than a regular medium American/Canadian cane reed, I would rank it as "extra hard". As hard as Sarah Jeffrey's(from Toronto Symphony Orchestra) reeds
- Sounds beautiful and if played in a room with great echos, it beats all the cane reeds and takes the sound, ringing and vibration to the next level.
- However if you play the reed in a confined room, the sound isn't quite as lovely as a cane reed in the same environment, and it creates a more dull sound.
- Producing notes from 3rd octave E and higher is very difficult, and it's impossible to play 3rd octave G or higher softly. (could be that the reed is too hard?)
- The reed is SUPER LOUD, almost as loud as my Alto saxophone, and can definitely match a trumpet playing mezzo forte to forte.
- No pre-moisturizing so no more prep work, holding the reed to wet it in ur mouth, or worrying about it getting dry, make you feel extremely secure about your reed (I'm always worried about my cane reeds being unpredictable) .
- easy to control and produce notes from Low B flat to 3rd Octave E flat (2 and half octaves). Even tho the reed is super hard, playing low notes feel like playing low notes on a medium reed. Even playing them softly is super easy.
- Intonation is very stable.
- Very clear articulation.
All in all I would say this is a GREAT REED and a great first step to REPLACE cane reeds and reed making.
But the MAJOR issue with the reed is its WAY TOO HARD for semi pros, pros and students who don't like to play on a super duper hard reed.
Let me know what you guys think! And I'm open to try each others' reeds

I would like to add that the reed needs to be broken in. So after a few days of playing it does get slightly softer and should stay that way for months.
Also. I've pretty completely decided to completely ditch cane reeds for now and adjust to the new reed completely because its pros outweight its cons in almost every way.

Last edited by delmar (2016-08-07 21:45:49)

Re: Some Reviews of the new Legere Oboe Reeds.....

Aaron Lakota gives the Legere Oboe Reed a test drive.....with sound clips too.!
http://aaronlakota.com/legere-oboe-reed-review/

Really interesting post by oboist Aaron Lakota. He literally works on the Legere reed with a knife.  See his results here:
http://aaronlakota.com/legere-oboe-reed-update/

Last edited by delmar (2016-08-12 21:17:58)

Fun! I played a gig with Aaron last month. He played it on his reeds, not the Legere. I didn't know to ask about it. I'll do so next time we cross paths.

I'm the bassoonist mentioned in his article who bought the Legere bassoon reed at IDRS. I use them for practicing and from time to time for gigs.

Now if only they would release a contrabassoon reed....

The principal oboe of Finnish Radio Sym Jorma Valjakka is playing on a legere oboe reed in this performance of bartok Conc 4Orch
http://areena.yle.fi/1-3730221

Last edited by delmar (2016-10-16 08:51:41)