Topic: High note bocals

I'm wondering if any oboists have found an English horn bocal that they like specifically for playing in the upper register. The concept of a "high note bocal" is familiar to bassoonists, but I don't often hear English horn players address it. Thanks for any thoughts!

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

Re: High note bocals

Hi Andy...

I sent your question to several EHornists.  I'll post the answers as I get them.

Delmar

Elizabeth Masoudnia, EH Philly, said she really likes the Etoile bocal for high notes....

One English horn player said this.....""more often the shaper tip is too wide in the throat/belly and that has a lot more to do with it (getting the high notes) than the bocal.""

Last edited by delmar (2016-11-14 12:30:08)

Thanks, Delmar. I haven't tried the Étoile bocal yet.

I should have specified that the pitches I need to sound reliably are (written) F#, G, and G#, three/four ledger lines above the staff.

Last edited by oboeandy (2016-11-14 14:53:37)

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

From Harold Smoliar, EH Pittsburgh Sym.

Loree made a series of H bocals for this. My shaper tip makes them unnecessary but others seem to like them.

Interesting. I thought that the "H" designated "high pitch" (A=443) but I guess I'll have to give those a try, too.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

From Russ deLuna SF Symphony
The issue that Andrew N is dealing with is best addressed with a reed that is not too wide.  I have never found Lorée bocals work well, in general.  I use Hiniker bocals and they work great up in the extreme high register.  I think it's more of a reed issue!