Re: Other Hobbies?

I play the bassoon.  Unlike the oboe, the bassoon requires complete fidelity and will not tolerate hobbies.  Patty often forgets that its all about the bassoon smile

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

Other than bassoon & contra?    Volunteer work with my two therapy dogs (Dog Therapy International), basketweaving, English Smocking, bicycle riding and working another job to pay the bills.

Besides family and real job responsibilities, I try find time to play duplicate bridge, at the club level, on the internet, or an occasional tournament.

I also try to find time to play with my college aged bassoonist son, my middleschool aged bassoonist nephew (when he is in town), and my middleschool aged percussionist son (don't know where I went wrong......)!

Bryan Cavitt

Bassoonist, Elkhart (IN) Municipal Band; Bassoon Dad and Uncle

Wow -- great hobbies out there. I'm impressed :-)

I enjoy juggling in my spare time -- I particularly like to juggle devil sticks/flower sticks and diabolos -- though I"m not too good at them.

I also teach public school -- so I guess you would say I have the hobby of "paperwork!" ;-)

Lastly -- I enjoy reading very much. I also enjoy biking to an extent -- nothing major, but basic flat trail biking.

Would love to learn to fluently speak german and a few other languages -- but I don't see that happening anytime soon in my loads of non-spare time! :-)

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

How about cars? I'm a member of the Montreal Subaru Club (www.montreal-subaru-club.com) and I drive a 2002 WRX wagon, mostly carefully but sometimes rather seriously, especially in the winter time...
http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com/memberPhoto/1001124/1001185/1003904.jpg

I guess my major hobby is composing. When I'm not doing that (or practicing or performing), I like to read (mainly Sci-Fi.), fly my R/C helicopter, and work on websites (I currently manage three.).

Matt Fossa
Principal Oboe, Pensacola Symphony Orchestra and Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra
Faculty, Pensacola State College
Original music at www.twinreedsmusic.com

I just moved from San Francisco to Japan a month ago, so a few of my old hobbies are on hold until I get settled and learn more Japanese - sewing, swimming and volunteering.

I'm still able to play my bassoon, ride a bicycle, and travel.

Learning Japanese used to be a hobby, but now it takes up agood chunk of my time. Once I master Japanese I want to learn Arabic.

Soon I hope to be able to read the Japan Double Reed Socity webpage!

I like scrapbooking--- I have so far four very nice albums, two from a trip to Ireland and two from 2005, when my first grandchild was born!  needless to say, lot of baby pictures in that one!  Working on 2006, but it is hard to find time.... especially with a granddaughter to play with.

Darlene

Running.

I'm an amatuer juggler in my spare time. I also LOVE cats! Mine's name is bubba.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Although I love the oboe,  and the English horn is my big passion I also love to dance.  I dance Salsa other Latin dances.  Its so much fun and it serves as my "therapy" when I get frustrated.  Everyone should give it a try.  Don't be afraid, we should all have rhythm...we are musicians anyway.

I started piano lessons at age 4, Scottish bagpipe lessons at age 6, and after trying several band instruments, settled on oboe and -- mostly -- bassoon at age 12. By 16 I was a devoted bassoonist and bagpiper, then dropped both for a few years. Back to bassoon and a little oboe in college / grad school, then dropped that, picked up the bagpipe again, became a "grade 1" solo competitor and bandsman, and as of last summer I'm back at the bassoon ... but I think it's true and lasting love this time and I'll be staying put! In my next life, I will be a cellist, since that is actually my favorite instrument ... but I have no aptitude for strings at all. wink -Thom

Amateur Bassoonist
Professional Bagpiper
Professional Medical Publisher

This is a great post! I have a music degree in voice/bassoon/and oboe but am a full time English teacher (another degree). My husband is a choir/band director as well as a computer teacher. We are at different schools. Our two boys attend the same college and major in "day jobs" and play or sing music in just about everything on campus,so we attend A LOT of concerts as well as play in them.

But for hobbies I knit and read as much as time allows, but with all the grading of writing it is hard. For me playing the oboe in two orchestras (my son is now the bassoonist) is not only my hobby, it is my escape. As I mentioned on another thread, my school suffered a horrible tragedy last fall when a student came into our building a shot our principal. That same morning another one of my students was killed on his way to school. Through all the grieving and trying to cope with all the emotions of my kids and those of me and my peers, I found that there is nothing quite as soothing as being surrounded by Mozart, Beethoven and the rest of gang.
If you haven't done so before, like me, be so grateful for the gift of timeless beauty that our instruments of all kind provides. When I play the English horn solo in the second mov't of New World, I can almost feel the peace of the melody we know as "Going Hom" flow thru me.
Thanks for letting me run on...

Lori Olson-Putz
English Teacher/Double reed player/grateful musician