Topic: Forum topics

Members may suggest new forum topics by responding to this post.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Re: Forum topics

I offer these as possible forum areas;

General Interest (off-topic discussions on politics, windows xp, ...)
The Reed Room (all things concerning reed making and instrument mechanics)
Vacancies (grad assistantships, audition announcements, etc...)
Concert Hall (recital and concert announcements and reviews)
Military Musicians (probably too obvious smile
Conference News (IDRS notices, news and whats next)
Music Library (perhaps a forum to discuss interesting pieces or ask for information about music)
The Shop (a place for commercial advertisements or posting of interesting business related doublereed businesses)

Good Luck!

Principal Oboist
US Military Academy Band
West Point, New York

General Interest (off-topic discussions on politics, windows xp, ...)

I want to avoide off-topic forums.

The Reed Room (all things concerning reed making and instrument mechanics)

Great idea!

Vacancies (grad assistantships, audition announcements, etc...)
Concert Hall (recital and concert announcements and reviews)

Both are part of IDRS WWW home page!

Military Musicians (probably too obvious
Conference News (IDRS notices, news and whats next)
Music Library (perhaps a forum to discuss interesting pieces or ask for information about music)

I will consider the above

The Shop (a place for commercial advertisements or posting of interesting business related doublereed businesses)

Please read the rules…thanks

Yoshi Ishikawa

How about a special forum here for people to vent their political views?  This is a serious request!  I REALLY got annoyed last year when the whole IDRS list ranted and ranted and ranted about their political pet peeves.  Maybe if you put a special section here on the forum, those with axes to grind can whack away at each other and leave the rest of us alone.

HaHa! (but really serious)

-Darlene Marshall

Darlene

Another forum I belong to has an "Off Topic Socializing" category.  The person in charge will move any discussion that gets off topic there, or people can post there if they want to talk about something unrelated to the forum's purpose. One nice thing about a forum is getting to know the other people on it. They become friends. If you have a problem and want to ask a friend what to do, or news that you want to share, it's good to be able to post it without offending the more task-oriented members. An email list or a forum that's so strictly regulated that it sticks to nothing but business can become very sterile and repetitive. On that forum, at least, the category is never abused.

Sydney

Last edited by sydney (2005-02-08 19:48:26)

I'd agree with Sydney on all of her points. One reason the forum was started was to make a place where people could post items without thinking "hmmm.. 1,850 IDRS members are going to read this". Additionally, the forum can (hopefully) be a place where younger members can talk and use incorrect grammar, etc. without being chastised. Having a meeting room (or chat room?) of the nature that Sydney is suggesting would further that goal.

Paul Barrett
   -Principal Bassoonist, Honolulu Symphony
    -Lecturer in Bassoon, University of Hawaii

Why not add a topic about sheet music?
Where we can compare editions, ask for mistakes and so on?
On the list, there were sometimes such questions, would be nice to have the answers handy in the forum, and not to have to search in the Archives?

Kathrin Brun
[url=http://www.oboist.ch]http://www.oboist.ch[/url]

sydney wrote:

Another forum I belong to has an "Off Topic Socializing" category.  The person in charge will move any discussion that gets off topic there, or people can post there if they want to talk about something unrelated to the forum's purpose...

Sydney

I have created a new forum topic 'Off Topic - Non-double Reed Matters,' Thank you for your suggestion.

Yoshi Ishikawa

quaeki wrote:

Why not add a topic about sheet music?
Where we can compare editions, ask for mistakes and so on?
On the list, there were sometimes such questions, would be nice to have the answers handy in the forum, and not to have to search in the Archives?

There is a forum 'Double Reed Music and Media.' Create a new topic under this forum.

Yoshi Ishikawa

I think there should be a forum for student musicians.  It would be a good place to voice questions and concerns regarding auditions, summer music festivals, etc. and it would be good way to encourage involvement from some of the younger members of the IDRS.

Daniel Rios - oboe, EH
San Antonio, TX