Topic: Tip Profiler help needed

I have a Rieger tip profiler, been using it successfully for several years.  A couple weeks ago I began having problems with one side,, the left, being a bit thinner than the other, especially at the tip.  I tried re sharpening the blade, using my Bob Williams sharpening jig, the problem persisted.  I then adjusted the thickness to a bit more, but that didn't solve the problem.  I've noticed that the problem only occurs on one of the blades, not both of them, and it's always the second blade I tip profile.  I'm stumped.  Any thoughts?

Re: Tip Profiler help needed

I had a thought until you said it only happens on the second blade for each reed. That makes no logical sense at all.

My thought until that point was that you had something loosen in the machine and the plaque or the template was tilted slightly in relationship to the carriage of the blade. But that would lead to consistent results on all blades, not just one blade of each reed.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Update:  I'm still not 100%
satisfied, but I've started profiling from the center to the corners, and have been very careful not to go too far to the side, so the tips seem better.  Requires a little more hand work, but back to making reeds successfully and mostly happy with my machine.  I've no experience with any other tip profiler than the Rieger..is there something else out there I should look into?

Personally I find most any other tip profiler superior to the Rieger. Reeds 'n' Stuff, Rimpl, Andante e Rondo, all better, IMO.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I had a similar problem but on both blades. One tip wing measured.015 mm and the other measured .020 mm. I fixed it by placing a single layer of scotch tape on the plaque under the thicker side.  Now, both measure the same within .001 mm

Mel Toub