Topic: 2017 oboe gouger questions :)

Good day nice people of the idrs:
I have been trying different gougers for the last 20 years and am still looking forward to each new advance in the "tech".

There  was something romantic about using a Graf gouger that was basically the same as the ones described in the Barrett method...while studying those etudes and the others in the line of professors from Paris in the 19th century who used  that same style machine. Running to Pine street  or to Collingswood to have it sharpened and adjusted was maddening and ultimately frustrating.  But that time has long passed!
It was soon after, upon entry into the  professional world that I was exposed to the more "up to date" options.  I have tried and have been happier using these different machines. Innoledy,HDR,Ross,etc.  all have their own pros and cons...and...I am still looking smile

I am curious as to reviews of the Reedsnstuff traditional oboe gouger with the cylindrical blade, and its functionality being offset to produce a double radius gouge...they advertise it as able to produce a w shape gouge.
Thoughts?
A

Last edited by alan (2017-03-10 14:42:23)

Re: 2017 oboe gouger questions :)

Hi Alan,
I'll comment. I own a reeds n stuff EH gouged that I have owned for about 11 years. I like it very music, other than the fact that I cannot independently adjust the sides from the center. If I want thicker sides I cannot achieve that unless I make the center thicker. Other machines allow independent adjustments.

I have two oboe machines; a Ross and a Driscoll Opus1. I like both but tend to lean towards the Opus1 in the fall/winter and the Ross in the spring summer...not sure why.

Hope that helps!
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)