Topic: Tremolo Fingerings

Our faculty ww quintet is preparing a performance of Josef Foerster's Wind Quintet, Op. 95. The third movement has three tremolos that I haven't previously encountered. After floundering around, I went to the chart on site. two of them were not listed and the third, a fingering by my late friend, Ron Klimko, doesn't make sense. Sadly, I can't call Ron for clarification.

The first is an E4 to G#4 tremolo; the second is E4 to A4 and the third is E4 to G4 (the one that is confusing). Does anyone have a solution to these?

George Adams
Idaho State University

Re: Tremolo Fingerings

The Klimko fingering you are seeing is not supposed to be on the page for E-G. It's clearly a D-F shake, and the same fingering appears on that page http://www.idrs.org/resources/BSNFING/TRLL/HD4_F4.HTM FWIW I usually add that Bb key to the D fingering for D-E trill as well (trill second finger).

Looks like your best bet is the overblown first finger E, trill the high Eb key. This works properly for me on my instrument.

I'll futz around and see if I can't figure out something for the other tremolos.

Last edited by Trent (2017-03-25 12:57:23)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Tremolo Fingerings

E-A:

X tr X | O (X) X
 tr A & c#

OR if you have a high F key for the middle finger of the left hand, simply trill that on your normal E fingering. Works for me, but most people don't have that key.

E - G#

If you have offset high E (for middle finger) play regular E fingering, trill the high E key.
If you don't have offset high E, you can finger E as such:

Eb
X O O | X X X

But use your middle finger on the first finger tone hole, then use your index finger to trill the high E key. Crazy, but it works.

It's all I got for right now.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds